Tis the season of autumn leaves, cool breezes and COLDS! At this time of year, everyone seems to catch a cold. Be it on the tube, on the bus or walking down the street, you can hear people sniffing, sneezing and coughing.
What can be done to prevent this from happening to you? If it’s already there, how best to treat it?
1) Keep warm during the change of season
Better to wrap up warm as you head off for work. Think multiple layers so you can peel them off in case you get hot during the day. Protect your throat with a scarf.
2) Make sure you get enough sleep and avoid overworking.
If you’re working too much, are under stress or not resting enough, your immune system will be more vulnerable to catching flu & colds.
3) Make sure you eat well.
Avoid excess sweet, processed foods and too much alcohol. Eat plenty of fresh leafy greens (kale, brocoli, spinach). Take a daily multivitamin (Solgar).
4) Find a way to de-stress and keep it light.
Stress and emotional upsets can very quickly trigger blockages in the body’s energy flow. As a result, we end up with a cold. Remember the saying ‘This, too, this shall pass’. View life on the bright side with a pinch of salt and a wink of an eye.
As best as you can, live the present moment and live for today!
If you already have the cold:
- Plenty of rest! Lie in bed and sleep as much as you can.
- Keep warm but ventilate the room.
- Dose up on vitamin C and Zinc.
- Take extra propolis and echinacea.
- Make some chicken broth soup and drink over the next few days.
- Eat plenty of vegetables (greens), Fish and light meat. Avoid many carbohydrates and sugary/ sweet treats.