Sit comfortably with a raised and supported back. You can sit either on a chair with your feet firmly touching the floor or cross legged on a pillow or yoga block. Switch your phone on airplane mode and set an alarm of about 10-20 minutes.
1. Take a deep breath in and let your head drop to your chest. Slowly circle your neck and head in one direction. Invite any tension to release as you do this. Repeat this. Then circle in the opposite direction twice. The motion should be slow and gentle. The breathing deep and slow. Eyes closed.
2. Slowly circle your shoulders up, forward, back and down. Repeat this. Then circle in the opposite direction twice.
3. Lengthen your spine, neck and head up to the sky and close your eyes. Let your hands rest on your lap. Palms faced down. Become aware of your breathing. Feel the flow of the inbreath enter your body and fill your belly. On the outbreath feel how your belly releases and moves inwards. Focus on the waves of your breath. In: the wave rises down into your belly. Out: the wave slowly moves back up.
4. Whenever your attention is distracted by thoughts or feelings of anxiety, that’s OK. It’s totally normal. Every time you notice that you’re distracted by feelings, silently say to yourself ‘It’s ok. It’s just a feeling. Let me feel it and come back to the breath as if for the first time’. Every time you notice that you’re distracted by a thought, silently say to yourself ‘It’s ok. It’s just a thought. Let me observe it and let it go. Let me come back to the breath as if for the first time.’ And then settle once again back to the even flow of your breath. Noticing the waves expanding inside of you. Noticing the waves releasing back up and out.
5. Any time you feel it’s too much. Too challenging. Inhale and breathe out through the lips release any accumulated effort. Repeat 3 more times.
6. Come back to feeling the waves of each in breath and each out breath. Try to feel all the different sensations in the belly with each breath.
7. As you hear the alarm, turn it off. Slow movements in the neck and head, in the fingers and toes. Let your palms come together at the heart and bow. Remember that the place of sanity and stillness is inside yourself. You can access it anytime.